In 2005, Indiana Wesleyan University (IWU) first began its partnership to assist The Salvation Army USA Central Territory to develop its officers in full-time ministry for the challenges and opportunities they will face. The following is offered to assist you in making an informed decision about degree completion options through IWU in conjunction with SACEP coursework and CFOT credits. If the information below does not answer your questions, please do not hesitate to contact Rob DeGeorge.
Determining your Program
- All officers upon leaving CFOT are required to complete the established SACEP program. Once completed, officers may opt to complete the degree with Olivet, or choose another route. Indiana Wesleyan offers degree options that accept accepts CFOT credits as part of our partnership agreement. In many cases, the SACEP credits you have earned from other institutions will transfer as well. IWU offers the following degrees as part of its relationship with The Salvation Army USA Central Territory. Please contact ORD for specific program requirements. It may be helpful to talk through your educational goals as it relates to officership. If so, do not hesitate to contact Rob DeGeorge to consider what options are available:
- Go to Indiana Wesleyan University Salvation Army Program to get started.
- Secure a degree audit and financial verification statement from the admissions team that indicates the degree for which you are seeking to complete, the number of hours remaining for completion, and the cost per credit hour (don’t forget to ask IWU about their tuition discount for all Salvation Army students).
- Download and Complete the appropriate Program of Study form (located in the Educational Resources for Officers section of this website), including signing and notarizing the financial agreement, and send to your Divisional Officer Resource Secretary.
- Once approved, you will be contacted by the ORD department at THQ and we’ll get you started on completing your degree!
Paying for your Course Work
- Once you have received your notification for an Approved program of Study, you are able to register for courses (no more than 6 hours concurrently or 9 hours sequentially).
- All Bachelor programs are covered 100% by Territorial Headquarters, a second Bachelors is covered at 95%. All graduate degrees are covered at 95%.
- Because Officer Education Assistance is a reimbursement program, you will need to plan ahead to be sure you will be able to make payments at the time of registration. Generally, there are two payment options for officers:
- Cash/Check/Credit Card- with this option you will pay from your personal resources and seek reimbursement with the appropriate documentation.
- Cash Advance – with this option, officers work with their corps accounts/finance departments to seek a cash advance, per territorial finance policy, to secure funds to pay for courses personally.
- More on these options will be made available once approved for the program of study.
- Once payment has been made, officers submit an application for reimbursement with the ORD department. Upon approval, reimbursement is secured through the officer’s appointment and THQ then reimburses the appointment for the official portion of the education assistance.
- Once these steps are complete, the hard (and fun!) work begins… start crackin’ those books!